Saturday, December 6, 2008

Setback?

I guess they are bound to happen. Not really sure what to think about it. The appointment with Steve's doctor on Thursday wen really well. She didn't want to discontinue the oxygen therapy until we were sure he was getting enough. So last night he wore an O2 monitor on his finger while he slept. It never went above 91 and usually hung around 87-89. This is not good.

While he is awake his O2 couldn't be better. But during sleep it takes a nosedive. I have no idea what this means but there is an easy fix. Oxygen. From everything I have read oxygen therapy saves and extends your life. So if that's what he's going to need then that is what we will do. We just have to figure out how to pay for it. The insurance people are starting to be a little difficult but I know it will all work out. We actually found out yesterday that a local company supplies for trachs and I met the manager and I have a feeling they will be very easy to work with. Logistics, *sigh*

All things considered Steve continues to feel good. He is working hard at catching up at work and has adjusted really well to his new way of breathing. For the most part we don't even notice it and he says it's the same at work. People stare occasionally but he doesn't care...he can breathe!

Oh, and the cats came back. Just like I thought Mozzarella tried to sneak back like nothing happened. He missed his appointment for Friday but I will get that cat neutered, even if I have to do it myself!

2 comments:

amy said...

First, I appreciate your updates on Steve. It helps me pray intelligently (in the sense that I have good information, not in that I have super smart prayers :).

Second, it's good to hear that the cats are okay. As much as I'd like to hear the story of how you neutered your cat at home, I don't know if that's such a good idea ;) Don't put me down as your assistant. Maybe Beth would help you. She's a nurse AND she's into saving money. Just a thought.

I happen to know a couple that did surgery on their pet rat. They were tired of losing their rats to cancer (something all rats seem to get eventually), so she brought home some anethesia and they removed the tumor themselves. Did I mention that he's a physician and she's an RN? Maybe that makes a difference. Maybe not.

At any rate, good luck with Mozzarella.

Rhonda said...

Amy..don't think that's all a joke! My former neighbor was a vet on break to continue her education and we actually had planned to neuter them on my kitchen table. She didn't have any something-caine {the numbing stuff}. She kept forgetting to pick some up when she went to her former office in Visalia. Unfortunately we found that particular cat in the gutter one night, bleeding and near death after being hit by a car. She did come in handy that night as she was able to put him to sleep for us.

I figure I'm radical enough to homebirth, why not home neuter! Now we just use HOPE animal foundation...I can't say enough good things about them!