Saturday, November 8, 2008

It has bugged me for a while....

Used to be, back in the "old days" the Christmas stuff didn't go up until the day after Thanksgiving. Now while you are trying to recover from the diabetic coma from the trick-or-treating the night before you are awakened by "Jingle Bells"!

Without going into great detail my childhood does not hold many happy memories. Holidays were not looked forward to. Yes I got presents. Too many actually. But it wasn't about love. That's all I'll say for now.

So the "baggage" of Christmas to me has been my need to overspend and shower my kids with way too much "stuff". It was all I knew and it was what I thought I had to do to show them I loved them. Funny thing is I know my kids know they are loved many times over than I did as a kid.

And speaking of kids may I share that I have some of the most awesome ones that ever existed?! You think yours are great too? Well ok, but mine are pretty cool.

They know Christmas will be "small" this year and they have toned down the yearly begging and pleading that usually starts around this time. And for the first time in years I am actually getting into the spirit. My head is spinning with ideas {wait till you see the Christmas card I have planned!} and I'm looking forward to it. I actually wanted to change the blog to a Christmas theme but I'll wait until after Thanksgiving to give those who aren't quite in the spirit a little time to adjust.

But if you are in the mood to hear some really good and worshipful Christmas music go here and have your speakers on. The music player is up in the right hand corner. "I Heard The Bells On Christmas Day" is stunning. I can't wait to blast it while baking cookies and making ornaments. No Bah Humbug versions this year!

Merry Christmas. Remember He is the Reason for the Season!

4 comments:

Kim Becker said...

That's awesome Rhonda. I pray that the healing continues and that you would allow the past to be in the past and look forward to creating new memories for yourself and your family. I'm so happy for your newfound joy in the Christmas season even in the midst of what's been going on. I too am excited for my slim pickins Christmas somehow. Immanuel. God is with us. That's what it's all about.
Peace to you.

amy said...

Lovely post, Rhonda. I'm not quite excited about Christmas yet. The whole endeavor makes me so tired. Encouragement is always appreciated.

I could use some ideas for focussing on the importance of our Immanuel, without disturbing the peace on earth.

catd said...

I love your heart here, Rhonda. Brad and I were at the mall Saturday night because we already have shut-in winter blahs. Anyway a lot of the Christmas stuff was up. At first it was OMG I can't believe they are already decorating. But then we realized there has been so much bad news over the last couple of months that people are longing for some hope and joy. Maybe, just maybe they will find it through Christ - mas this year. That would be cool. Merry Christmas.

BethM said...

I love christmas. I have always loved christmas. I have lots of magical memories with my family during that time. Now I feel anxiety when I see the stores putting in stuff already and playing christmas music. I realize that it isn't the stuff that bugs me that they put out so early, it's the anxiety I feel about not having enough money to buy stuff. I'm not sure when I got so far into the gift buying. As a child I used to do stuff like bake cookies and put it into a nice cookie tin. I never thought twice about it not being good enough. I don't know when that changed but I'm determined that this year will be different. I'm glad you are finding your joy again Rhonda. I'm looking forward to Christmas this year too!