Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Today I am THANKFUL for....

The fact that Steve is coming home today!!

I don't have time to post all of the details, I promise to get back to that later.

The trach part of the experience has gone better than expected. His doctor came in last night and said the surgery was practically bloodless and it had to be one of the easiest ones he had ever performed.

Thankful.

Things that did not go well was his reaction to the anesthesia. They actually called a stroke code Monday night. His CT was clear, he did not have a stroke.

Thankful.

He has been very confused. He still does not know what hospital he is in or why he had the surgery. But some things are coming back. Today he told the nurse he has 6 children {before he could not tell}

Thankful.

He can talk. And he can talk well.

Thankful.

We rented a car for the trip. I was supposed to have it back today. They are closed tomorrow, so I would not be able to return it until Friday and they would have to charge me for an extra two days. I called them and explained the situation. They are not charging me! {By the way it is Enterprise in case you ever want to use a company that has a heart!}

Thankful.

Beth {my best friend and an RN and the only other person Steve could remember for the last 2 days...he has asked for her numerous times!} is going to travel with me to pick him up. That will bring great comfort to Steve and it's always a good thing to have your very own private nurse with ER experience.

Thankful.

Last night on the ride home I was not paying attention to the gas gauge on the Toyota Yaurus. The instrument panel is in the middle of the dashboard and I just spaced on it. I noticed the light flashing while I was out in the middle of no where. The car started to sputter and slow down. Just then I looked up and there was the Pilot gas depot. I coasted up the exit and turned into the lot and just when I got to the pump the car died. I sat and laughed like a fool for a few moments! I will pay attention to the gas this time. I won't temp God on that one!

Thankful.

I have a wonderful God who still loved me, cares about me and keeps me safe even when I threw big huge tantrums yesterday and tell dear friends that I don't exactly feel like God is here with me right now and I am just sick of this. He knows I will come around and be grateful that He absolutely was and is with me. My kids throw tantrums, a lot. I still love them very much and would die for them.

Very Thankful.

I have wonderful friends who love us and pray for us and help and encourage us.

Extremely and Eternally Thankful.

Please continue to pray. Steve is well physically but this is emotionally hard for him. He needs lots of encouragement and support. I have talked with lots of people on the "net" who have had tracheostomies. All of them have said the first few weeks can be very hard and it takes time to adjust. All of them have said if they had it to do over they would do it in an instant, it changed their lives all for the better.

Have a HAPPY THANKSGIVING and of you think about it thank Jesus for being there for my family too!!

{Oh...and Laryssa turned 10 today!! WOO HOO!!!}

No comments: