Tuesday, September 16, 2008

To quote Laryssa Thomas, AWESOME!

That is my daughters newest favorite word. Sometimes I think she says it every other sentence. Today it's my new favorite word.

First of all there was no biopsy today. Apparently there was an emergency surgery so Steve got bumped back to 8am tomorrow. When they have you held captive they can do whatever they want! As frustrating as that is I do take this as good news in a way. I was very concerned about him undergoing this stress on his body while so very ill so the more time he has to heal the better I feel. I was told that the results should be back in 24-48 hours.

So I was able to meet with the doctors today and they were able to give me some answers to some questions I had. First of all they tell me that the thrush in Steve's throat and esophagus and is some of the worst they have seen. He is in a lot of discomfort from it right now so hopefully the medicine kicks in soon.

But the main question I had was concerning his heart. I have been so afraid these past few days that he was experiencing heart damage. One of the complications of the disease they think he has is right sided heart failure. A sign of that damage would be pitting edema and severe respiratory distress. By the time you reach this point you are either in or close to end-stage. Steve had both symptoms. The doctors told me today that his echocardiogram was normal!

He looked better today. His pain is still bad but he looked more alert and seemed to have less difficulty with his breathing. We even took a couple of walks around the floor. It was funny to see all the nurses and doctors standing there with huge smiles on their faces, so happy and surprised to see him up and moving. That doesn't happen much where he was at. It amazes me how many of them knew who he was. My husband makes quite an impression on people. He got the nurse aide, Adelle to promise to bring him homemade lumpia!

I have to say that today made a big difference for me. We still have a long way to go but I do really feel hope today. Jason even said "God's going to heal him". I love that kind of faith! A few days ago I could barely see him coming home from the hospital, now I definitely have no doubt he is coming home.

I'm really tired so I will update more later. I'll have to talk about the conversation with the sleep study clinic. "Mr. Thomas do you realize you have acute obstructive sleep apnea"? Steve, to me "did you know I have that"? Me "do you not realize I sleep {try!} in the same bed"?!

Oh...and he taught me how to play rummy. I think he cheated, he blamed it on the narcotics.

More later......

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

No comments: