Saturday, October 4, 2008

Watching and waiting for each breath...

As much as I am glad that Steve is home it's hard to sleep peacefully. Being in the hospital you get use to the machines that go ping. I know that if his oxygen level drops to a certain point little alarms go off and someone is there to help. At home I just sit and watch {I just looked over and the cat is nibbling on his fingers...LOL!}

It feels like whenever I had a new baby and I would just sit and stare at their chest, watching for it to rise and fall with each breath. One of the nurses explained to me that he won't just stop breathing. His body and brain will fight for oxygen and if he gets in trouble he will wake up. I know she's right because whenever he is in distress he is wide awake and fighting for each breath.

I just want peaceful sleep. I am afraid of getting back into the "old routine" of being awake all night, afraid he will be in trouble and I'll be asleep and then collapsing and sleeping half the day. That is not a life. Not for me or the kids. So I have a favor to ask. What scriptures are your favorites that encourage you when you have fear? What refreshes your trust in God? Would you mind sharing them with me? I could really use them right now! Post them here or email me at thomaszoo8@comcast.net Thank you!

Now I'm off to try and sleep. I think the cat's done.

2 comments:

BethM said...

Rhonda, this is for you.
Joshua 1:6-9 Be strong and courageous, because you will lead these people to inherit the land I swore to my forefathers to give them. Be strong and courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go. Do not let this book of the law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous . Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.

Anonymous said...

My pastor often says, "Things are going to happen. People are going to get beat up, people are going to get sick, people are going to have problems. The difference for us is God is always with us. He is face to face, hand in hand, walking with us through everything that happens. We are not alone, we will never be alone. He is with us, comforting us, holding us up, loving us, showing us His face in the middle of whatever is going on."

My pastor also translates directly from Hebrew, and this is his translation of Jeremiah 29:11. It makes me cry way too often when I read it.

For I see and perceive you. I have acquired knowledge by becoming acquainted with you through sight and touch. I understand you through experience. I know you by name. I know you face to face. I meditate on My purposes for you and compose them like a song. I hold you in great esteem says Yahweh. MY meditations and purposes for you are composed like a song, not with evil or wicked manner of thinking or acting and not with hurtful things but holding you in great esteem, to bring you wholeness of body, security and tranquility of mind and spirit, making you complete and giving you peace. My face has never been deformed from anger towards you. I have never raised My voice to you. I will never break you down, leave you crushed or humiliated. I give to you an end filled with hope and expectation through the twisting and binding together of all my thoughts and plans for you.